Natural Disasters are becoming more and more frequent in the last decade or so. Everything from hurricanes, earthquakes and forest fires not only threaten the earths sensitive ecological system it also has become a big threat to all forms of life. There is many people without power, housing, food and or clean water from hurricane Irene. The U.S. Government is dragging their feet on sending aid via F.E.M.A. because they still are bickering over the budget cuts. These are the times when the citizens and businesses should band together to help those unfortunate people in need. There are even some trapped on islands created by flood waters from the hurricane. Trapped with no escape or ability to get food or fresh water. This is something I thought would never happen in the U.S., the government being unable to help the citizens that put them in office and pay the taxes that funds the government itself.
There is time for politics and then there is time for good governing and it seems our congress has no clue on the right time to do either. They enjoy the politics too much to focus on governing. I believe it is either time to do away with the political party system so the politicians can think independently and not be sheep following a blind agenda. I also still believe there should be term limits on a congressional seat so that new ideas can be introduced by new members after so many terms. Lifetime congressional members should be a thing of the past. It’s a new century and its time to overhaul the political system and time to cut away all the fat from our dysfunctional government. Political change never comes quickly nor does it come without some pain and or sacrifice.
The one thing I think the Americans are getting fed up with is this finger-pointing from both sides on who is to blame for the deficit. The cold hard fact is that it’s both sides at fault do to both poor governing and lack of the ability to co-operate and to put political party agendas aside to get work done. Reduce Spending, rewrite the tax code to make it fair and fix all the loopholes. Stop messing with the so-called entitlements that we the people of the united states have been paying for and get rid of the earmarks. Make bills that are passed simple and direct with no string attached or hidden perks. Most of all congress needs to really listen to all of the people they were elected to represent.
When political agendas are more important than people who are in need then it is apparent or government has become dysfunctional and it has lost its way. Wake up congress and learn to prioritize as well as how to work together.
Well right or wrong, that’s my 2 cents worth
- Bachmann makes link between natural disasters and politics (macleans.ca)
- Republicans do not want to help Natural Disaster Victims (theunionews.com)
- Democracy and Natural Disasters (volokh.com)
- Michele Bachmann: God Is Trying To Get Politician’s Attention Via Natural Disasters (mediaite.com)
- The Politics Of Disaster (pinkbananaworld.com)
- The worst: Cantor holding hurricane victims hostage (ismaelmelendez.wordpress.com)
- What natural disasters happened in 2010 summer (wiki.answers.com)
- VIDEO: Bachmann: God’s Using Natural Disasters (theroot.com)
- Bachmann: natural disasters warnings from God (americablog.com)
- Assorted disasters, naturally (brobrubel.wordpress.com)