It may be true that only you can change yourself, but others can influence your choices and help direct you in a better direction. By setting up a enriching environment you can encourage positive change in yourself and in others. Though the choice to change is in the hand of the individual, the people and environment around that individual plays a significant part in influencing his or her choice of what changes to make. We change ourselves everyday, little by little and those changes are effected by both our environment and the personal influences we choose. If you don’t know there is a better path to walk and that the one your on is heading towards ruin, then how and why would you change your path?
Lets say you live in a gang controlled city and all you ever see and know is death, drugs and violence. Your mindset will be that there is no other choices besides being a gang member or being a victim. You would be resistant to the idea that you can raise above the city and its negative environment. It is hard to see the light when your surrounded by darkness, your instincts will tell you to adapt and become a part of the system to survive. Now you move to the suburb where there is less crime and violence, you see there is other options besides being a gang member or victim.
Basically you can only change into that which you believe is possible. If you are unaware of anything other than what you are then your limited by that lack of knowledge. This is where others can inspire change and help direct others to change for the better. Giving others the knowledge that there is more options out there than they perceive gives them the ability to make better choices. This has been proven through such community programs as big brother and many other mentor programs across the globe. Even programs such as the Boy & Girl Scouts have inspired change in the youth of America.
Well enough of my Babbling
Peace to All
- The Fools in America and Ways to Deal with Them (socyberty.com)
- Ogden program hopes to reintegrate gang members into society ()
- All victims of Vancouver shooting had gang connections (ctv.ca)
- No easy answers to stop gang violence (theglobeandmail.com)
- Parents of Gang Members Need Parenting Lessons (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Wenatchee: Gangsters turned social workers give lessons from lost years (thenewstribune.com)
- MySpace Profile and Photo Evidence Used to Support Conviction for "Participation in Criminal Gang Activity" — State v. McCraney (ericgoldman.org)
- Boy’s killing harkens back to troubled times in LA (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Boy’s killing harkens back to troubled times in LA (sfgate.com)
- Feds: Ex-Marines sold weapons to gang members (abclocal.go.com)
2 thoughts on “Thoughts on Personal Change”
well said RAY I believe that but i feel stuck and unable to get out of where i am I guess that makes me a nobody because im not able to make a change
Change takes time, and when you are stuck in an enviroment that is negitive like you are it makes it even harder. This is why I kept telling you to get out and hang with friends or at places that make you feel happier. The positive enviroments help change to come along. Eventualy you may have to figure a way to escape living at home with your dad and get out on your own or roomate with someone who is more positive and or supportive. Far as you being a Nobody, that is just a illusion, you are sombody and are unique. So do not give in to that deception. Thats your situation talking not who you are.
Believe me we all go through ruts in our life where we feel there is no where to go or no way to change but in time you will find the right place to be. Keep your Chin up and dont let no one bring ya down.
Your Friend Ray.