Food stamps, public housing, welfare and other benefits provided by states and federal government are a necessity in times of high unemployment. The problem is the cost of these programs are bankrupting states and adding to the national debt. I don’t see why the states and the federal government couldn’t just require any able-bodied person who is receiving on or more of these benefits who are unemployed to work for the state or federal government in exchange for the benefits. At least it may offset the cost if not balance it out with the labor received. Nothing is for free, the programs are paid by working citizens and I see no reason a healthy person couldn’t work in exchange for the benefits. If it be just cleaning up trash off the side of the road, landscaping, mowing grass, custodial work in schools or any other job that could benefit the citizens and/or governments. Of course I support the idea of drug testing to receive benefits, If a person who is working a job has to take one to get and keep his job then why shouldn’t it be the same for a benefit recipient.
Plus if you require the healthy recipients to work then they can feel useful and it will keep them inspired to find employment. Also there should be more investigations and inspections on recipients to help prevent fraudulent benefit claims and beneficiaries. I do not wish to see the shutdown of the programs that are put in place to help those in need, but if we don’t find some way to alleviate both the cost and the waste created by fraudulent claims they will eventually either be stripped down to nothing or canceled. I am no expert and I don’t have all the answers, but I am intelligent enough to know the way things are going that all our benefits and entitlements will be gone in a generation or two if we don’t figure out how to keep them.
Just a few thoughts
- Time-shifted live-blogging of this morning’s Obamacare oral argument in the U.S. Supreme Court. (althouse.blogspot.com)
- Justices Skeptical Of Medicaid Coercion, All-Or-Nothing Arguments (forbes.com)
- Our welfare system is broken and inefficient (transientreflections.com)
- 30 Stupid Things The Government Is Spending Money On – You’ll Never Believe this but it’s True – See Your Tax Dollar at Work!!! (blogginghounds.wordpress.com)
- 79,000 jobless workers to stop receiving benefits (wcnc.com)